SNAP’s volunteer corps is comprised of full and part-time residents who reside throughout the SNAP service area and broader community. There are no minimum hours of service required; you decide on your own time commitment. A few hours each week OR each month can make a huge difference to our friends and neighbors receiving services.
We welcome winter visitors to SNAP service during the weeks or months they are in Tucson. This frequently provides an opportunity for “snowbirds” to get to know other people in the community. Typically, a training and orientation program for new volunteers occurs on a regular basis and is done in person, but due to COVID-19 restrictions the mandatory training is done virtually online, with any necessary follow-up done via telephone.
WHAT DO VOLUNTEERS DO?
SNAP volunteers provide these direct services to SNAP clients:
- Transportation to medical appointments and shopping.
(At this time, transportation is offered only for essential medical and dental appointments and for COVID-19 vaccinations.)
- Friendly visiting with older adult neighbors.
(COVID-19 has temporarily halted all in-person visits, although if the participants are willing and able, outdoor and socially distanced visits may still be arranged.)
- Telephone or email reassurance
- Meal delivery through our Meals program
Other SNAP volunteer opportunities include:
- Becoming a member of the Phone Patrol – our front-line contacts for all telephone inquiries to SNAP.
- Assisting with special events and fundraising activities.
- Joining a committee or team to help with educational and socialization programs for our elderly neighbors.
- Helping with administrative support tasks such as mailings, data entry/computer tasks, graphic design.
- Serving on the Board of Directors or board committee.
SNAP uses a web-based application, called RideScheduler, to organize and schedule all assignments. Volunteers receive training in the system during the Volunteer Training and Orientation. Here is the link to more information on RideScheduler: RideSchedule Volunteer Instructional Sheet
Please join us as a volunteer! Download a Volunteer Application here, print it and return it to Sunrise Neighborhood Assistance Program at 6890 E. Sunrise Drive, Ste 120-298, Tucson, AZ 85750 or email to Lynda Stites, Volunteer Program Manager at email@example.com.